Monday, August 4, 2008

The Importance of Core

This year the importance of core has been made very real to me. I have always known, like all athletes, that core is very important. What I didn't realize was just how important it can be. With increased work responsibilities, moving, and general life changes my lifestyle has changed. I no longer hang out at the climbing gym (pun intended) or go on regular kayak or canoeing trips. Cycling and hiking make up 98% of my physical activities and need to be supplemented by core... I didn't realize how much those other 'cross training' sports were doing for my core until this year!

My first race (24hr NW Norba Champs) my back got sore after 6 hours - only 6 hours - on the bike. I was shocked. This had never happened before ... After this race I integrated core exercises into my daily life - doing them every other day religously. I can now say after Canmore (where there was WAY more climbing) that these exercises have paid off in a major way. My back didn't hurt - not once - and my core strength paid off in the twisty technical sections too - i had more balance (or more ability to keep my balance) when the rain made the course slippery as heck.

So .... the lesson for the day is ... never underestimate the power of core!