Saturday, July 3, 2010

The race that was over before it started ...

Yup, it's true. I'm talking about the 50 miles of endurance a few weekends back. It was so bad that it's taken me 2 weeks to write about it. Yes, that bad!

Going into the race I was exhausted. Mentally i was tired, emotionally i was drained, and the physical follwed suit even though it had no business doing so.  June was a bit of a rough month ... The best part of the race was being seeing Karen and Matt again ... what a great couple! :) And their kids ... too cute!!!

The race started out well - i was determined to beat my time from last year but a good measure and knew I had the fitness to do it. Unfortunately i had nothig else and when your mental focus is gone ... i just couldn't pull it together.

The good
The technical single-track... i passed sooo many people. That was fun.  Unfortunately there is like 4 miles of technical single track in the whole 50 mile race. Yeah, I needed more :)

The bad:
Lost my left contact lense about 15 miles in. Too much mud ... Also, I forgot my climbing legs at home. No juice. Normally this year I've been flying up the hills. Not so much my friends. I was slower than heck. ouch, it hurt.

the ugly:
i just didn't have it. Zip. Nil. Nadda.  Nothing to give, nothing to fight with. I was suffering like 5 miles into the race. I've never wanted to quit a race so bad ... I was totally suffering and had no metal ability to push. I was going sooo slow.

But I finished. it took wayyy longer than it should have, it was hard, and i am proud of myself for not quitting :)

Next up: Canadian National 24 hr Solos!