Sunday, May 30, 2010

Spokane Race Report

So apparently when you have a 'bruised' bone in your foot, whiplash, and many other bruises, racing isn't really an option ...

OK, now I've got you hooked, here are the details :)

The race started out well - the weather was perfect for me - not too hot. First lap was a good pace, felt great. Lap 2 I had a double flat (ugh) and lost 15 minutes but still finished in a good time. Lap 3 was awesome, started feeling good. Lap 4 I was minding my own business in the single-track when some guy asked to pass ... sure, go on the right. Next thing I know I hear 'oh crap', my handlebars are locked with his and then i am on the ground, with him on top of me. And we were moving at a pretty good pace. The next 2 minutes went like this:
Random dude:  you OK?
Me: (squashed between him, my bike, and the ground): um, can you move off of me?
Random dude: (chuckling) yeah .. sorry
Me: thanks
Random dude: (off me now, dusting himself off) you bleeding?
Me: (checking my Ferrari shorts to ensure they weren't torn), looking at my hip and my arm) nothing major.
Random dude: good ...
Me: can you pass me my bar end?
Random dude: uh, oh! Sorry, sure. (picks my barend off the ground and hands it to me. then after some hestitation:) your bike ok?
Me: seems like it
Random dude: ok, sorry about that, see you later
Me: (still stunned) ok
Later that lap I came up to a climb that I couldn't make and had to walk. Ouch, I must have turned my ankle, I thought. After that I avoided walkking as much as possible ... but didn't give it much thought.

Laps 5 and 6 were great, and I was feeling pretty good. I was a good hour ahead of my desired pace and feeling strong.  Come lap seven my stomach wasn't too happy with me. When you are injured or sustain a crash several things happen: you swell (so you need more fluids), your body temperature goes up (so you need more fluids), your blood gets diverted towards the areas that need attention (and away from your stomach).  All this leads to ... yup, stomach shut down and dehydration.  And so it went. I finished lap 8 at just before 11pm and had to pull the plug. I was determined to recover .. even emptied 7 electrolyte tabs in my mouth for better absorption and drank lots of water. It got worse and worse ... and eventually I got sick to my stomach and had to pull the plug for real. I remained optimistic until about 2am. Yes, i am one stubborn chick.

Several 'low-calorie' Gatorade and many electrolytes later I realized how swollen my foot had become. I had forgotten all about that. I was so determined not to have to go to the hospital for my stomach (no Canmore repeats!) ... and finally I came to the realization that I had to go for my foot. They took a look at me ... bruised hips, knees, and arm - swollen but minor. Whiplash - ouch but ok.  Microfracture in my foot which is basically a bruised bone - really ouch. Ice and elevation, wrap it no running for 6 weeks. blah. On top of that they told me I had a concussion ... my head still hurts!

So in a nut shell ... didn't make my goal of 18 laps but definitely felt that my fitness was there. I completed 8 laps in less than 11 hours and was feeling pretty strong throughout the race. Moral of the story is that you should never crash :) Um, i think I've heard that somewhere before?