Saturday, March 27, 2010

Race Report: Soaring Eagle Park

Last Sunday I completed my 2nd race of the 2010 season at Soaring Eagle park. My legs were tired as I was wrapping up 3 intense weeks of traning and getting ready for a recovery week - but the course was phenomenal...

Quick Summary:
# laps: 4
Total distance:  25km
Time: 1:43
Terrain: lots of twists and turns, very flowy
# women in Open/Expert: 15 (awesome!)
Place: 3rd

The Details:
The weather wasn't so co-operative but the trails were fantastic. We lined up for the start in a steady drizzle and quick count down  ' 3 ... 2 ...1 ... go!' My legs were rebelling and not ready for a fast start so I was 7th heading into the woods.  There was only one part of the course that was double track so passing was interesting. The good news is that you could generally find a way around people if you had your eyes open ... and since the Norco descends so well I did all my passing on the downhill sections.  It was super fun.   

After a few downhills where I could pass through the trees and I was sitting in 4th.  I followed 3rd around and passed her on the 2nd lap on the one section of double-track, - this was the woman that beat me last race. I dropped her on the descents and never saw her again. I kept on seeing the 2nd place girl in front of me but she saw me too.    I played cat and mouse with the 2nd place woman for 2 laps but she out-raced me and claimed 2nd place.   A great course, a great effort ... and I didn't get lapped by the pro men this time .... it was a good day :)