Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Race #2 - Mudslinger!


The Mudslinger lived up to it's name with more than enough mud to cover each and every rider & bicycle from top to bottom. The course was a 'roady' course, with disappointingly small sections of single-track; it was mostly hard-packed fire-roads with some pavement thrown in.

The race started off as a climb ... a long gradual 5 mile climb of about 3000 ft. It was all on fire-roads; there were several riders on cross bikes. The start was fast; instead of trying to trick my legs i decided to be smart and pace myself for the climb that I knew was ahead. About half way up I started to catch some of the girls who blew by me at the start. My pacing was paying off. Once we got into the single-track I passed another girl ... and then it was back out on the road and climbing again. My fender was working well ...(thanks Rob!) and I was able to eat without eating too much dirt. As the climbing went on I started to drop some of the girls who were 'hanging on' and to catch another one ... I was starting to feel good and then out of no where some girl I don't remember passing went by me at mock2. I found out later that she had mistakenly cut the course, and most of the climbing!

Unknown to me, the final piece of single-track held some surprises. First I lost my front fender - it somehow came detached from my bike!!! Later on the same piece of trail I noticed that my front wheel seemed loose when bunny-hopping over a log. I looked down and sure enough ... the quick-release was undone - likely happened while surfing in the mud! Just as I noticed it, I went over a bump (that I didn't see since I was checking out my front wheel) and the wheel went flying. i am not sure how but I landed on my back wheel and managed to catch myself before going head over tea-kettle down the hill. I am still not sure how. I caught up to my front wheel, put it back on and raced down the single-track to the road; which eventually brought me to the finish-line.

Not knowing the girls in my category it is hard to tell where I finished (no results posted yet) ... but I was happy with my effort. I crossed the line smiling from ear to ear and knowing that I'd just had a great ride and a lot of fun in the mud. What more can you ask for?

My favorite part of the race were the fast down-hills and the single-track where we had to bike-surf on the mud!!

The OBRA series continues in the next few weekends but I need to spend my weekends putting miles in my legs in preparation for my 24 hour solo event. Fraser and I are heading to Bend for a mountain bike 'camp' (ie: vacation where we will get to play on our bikes all day, every day!!) next week ... and then it will be only 3 weeks until my big event! I am getting excited!!!

Thanks again to Norco and Kisslers Cyclery for all of the support ... Could not do it without you guys!