Friday, April 20, 2007

Commuting to/from work

I am not actually sure exactly how far my commute to work is. I've been meaning to install a bike computer on my bike ... one of those things. What I do know is that it takes me about 2 and a half hours, it involves several 8% and 13+% climbs, roads, paths, and crazy bridges. When I commute to work I can only go one way at a time (would love to spend 5 hours a day on my bike but when would I get my work done??). I drive to work, ride home; ride into work and then drive home!

Another tidbit: pannier holders weigh a lot ... and when they have panniers attached to them and they are full of stuff ... the bike is heavy! I think my commuter bikes weighs about 40 pounds more than my road bike. It's kind of weird having a bike that is 'back end heavy'. Good for training, bad for going fast up hills!

I've been lucky so far. I've been rained on, but it was more of a Northwest 'sprinkle' than rain (think rain in Ottawa). What I have learned is that rain is different here. What they call light rain, those of us from Ottawa call rain. What they call rain, we call a torrential downpour ... and when there is red on that little radar picture; well - stay inside.

I rode home on such a day the other day. Luckily I missed the hail fun and just caught the rain. I was soooo happy with my water proof pants and jacket. It poured. I had my glasses on but had to put my hand in front of my face to see ... it POURED. When the rain let up the streets were full of water, making the ride more of a swim than a ride! I was never so happy to get home!

My favorite part of the commute is the bike path along the river. It's beautiful. There are rowers out in the river every morning and evening ... and a lot of runners taking advantage of the warmer weather. There is a section of the bike path that 'floats' on the water - very cool! The other part of the ride that I like is a small field that I ride by on the Vancouver side of the I5 bridge .. it is full of bunny rabbits -- especially in the mornings! I also really appreciate all of the 'biker specific' lights (yes, we get our own lights!) and 'stand here' options to make the lights turn for us. Portland is so bike friendly!!! My least favorite parts are the crazy bridges ... the I5 and Sellwood.

In order to avoid traffic or get to work on time I get up at 5am each day. I get on my bike around 5:30am (with lights) and start my ride. It is a nice peacefull time to be on the roads! I am getting better at 'night riding'! Earlier in the year I also needed this light to get home ... but with the extra daylight I rarely need it anymore!

And that, my friends, is a summary of my commute to/from work! I hope you enjoy reading about it as much as I enjoy riding it!