Sunday, October 27, 2013

I'm a runner again ... did i just say that?

So I've been running a bit more this year - had to get in shape for the 1/2 ironman ... and then decided to do a 1/2 marathon this fall. It's fun, I love running ... and really like the balance of running and biking ... with the odd swim thrown in. I feel less tired, and my muscles have time to regroup after a hard run/ride.

And yes, I think it is time I acknowledge it ... I am a decent runner. Not super fast. But decent.

I signed up to race the XTerra Harvest 1/2 Marathon ... here are the details by the numbers :)
- Miles ran: 13.2  - all single track
- Vertical feet climbed: 2600ish
- Time running: 1:48
- Days till my legs felt 'normal' again: 3

What a race! I love running on the trails, but with all the 'busy-ness' of a new job, regular life, and getting married, I didn't get in much trail time, and definitely did not get in enough hill descending. Yes, I said descending. I can climb just fine ... but descending ... I have to work up to it. My quad take a beating and I usually work up to the long descents. But for this race, I didn't. I simply did not have the time ... but hey, I was doing this race for fun, and to keep myself motivated to run.

It was a mass start and all 100+ runners started down the trail at the same time. There was a lot of passing for me to do in the first 10 min .. I felt good. My legs felt light, springy even. I was drinking well, and even better, I was enjoying the single track. Let me explain that a bit more ... enjoying the single-track means that I feel like a little kid. I generally have a goofy grin on my face and do airplanes down the hills for the switchbacks. I hop and jump over anything on the trail, as if it is a game. So yes, I was enjoying the single-track :)

There were two laps; and in each lap there were two big climbs, and two big descents.  The climbs served me well. I don't consider myself a fast runner ... but on the hills I was passing like crazy ...  and even on the descents ... and the flats.  And I know part of it is that I started towards the back (texting with Jonathan until the start gun - whoops!) .. but still. It felt good to pass. And on every single climb, I passed.  About 1/2 way thru the 2nd lap, I caught another girl. We both got a bit lost at one point but figured it out together. I ended up ahead of her at that point and put on the gas thru the woods (I knew I was better at dancing thru the technical single track) and then thru the field till the end. I beat her by a whooping 60 seconds :) I worked hard for that!

And come to find out, I was 2nd. 2nd overall! What the heck! I was pleasantly surprised ... what a fun race :) Yes, I will do it again!