Monday, August 26, 2013

Race Report: Birthday Race - Capital Forest 50

ah, the annual tradition (since moving to Seattle) of doing the Capital Forest Race on my birthday weekend! Great tradition :)

This year, I opted to do the 50 mile option so that I could spend the afternoon playing with Jonathan and Emily. It was a great choice! ... and here are the numbers :)

Time in saddle: 5:07
Miles Ridden: 50
Vertical feet climbed: >6250ft
# of mechanicals: 0
Placed: 2nd

But of course, the numbers never tell you the whole story .... For example, they don't tell you about the cheering section I had in my send off (thanks honey!) and how cute it is to see Emily pumping her fist in the air cheering :)  Nor do they tell you how fast my new Norco Hardtail climbs and how strong I felt on the 2nd big climb of the course! 

It was a fantastic race ... if I had to do it over I'd have a little less air in my tires (a little aggressive since last year I flatted 3 times in this race) ... but that is about all I would change. I pushed hard the entire race - I was worried that I would wimp out so I wore my heart rate strap to ensure I kept pushing - it worked :) I am very good at settling in and going a speed that I can maintain forever - this race was about pushing myself harder ... and I did! I knew coming into the last mile that I was happy with my race .. no matter where I placed. I knew I had pushed myself hard, and that I had given a good effort ... and that I had beaten my younger self.

At the end, I am not sure who was more tired from the days activities - me or Emily. Her and Jonathan had found a fantastic children's museum and fair in Olympia and she played her heart out... she was sound asleep when I finished and didn't peep till we were 5 min away from home :)  Nap time worked out pretty well - meant we got to spend the rest of the day having a family adventure!