Thursday, June 20, 2013

Happy Father's Day! Celebrating Parents

Last weekend was Fathers day ... and I got to celebrate with Emily and Jonathan, the man I love  - who is an amazing father, friend, and life partner.

Being a great father is no easy task ... it takes love, patience, and a lot of time.  I should know, I have a great father!  I am fortunate to have amazing parents - they are my role models, my friends, and my biggest fans. 

My father is one of  the most empathetic, patient, curious, and loving people I know. I have many memories with him ... ranging from playing the guitar until we fell asleep, to learning to drive stick,  to watching him support my mom as she went back to university. So you see, Jonathan has big shoes to fill .. and watching him with Emily - playing, teaching, comforting ... makes me so proud of him ... as a father, and as my life partner.

And my mother ... my best friend! What an amazing role model - she taught me from a very young age that I could do and be anything I wanted ... as long as I really put my mind to it, and worked for it.  She is a super-mom, and a sets an example that I can only hope I live up to.

Having Emily in my life has made me reflect on my own childhood, and how my parents demonstrated their unconditional love for us, how they empowered us, and how they taught us to find our own path in life ... and I hope we can do the same.

We celebrated Fathers Day on the beach - Emily had a blast, enjoyed singing 'happy fathers day' to 'dada', building sand castles, chasing seagulls, and generally being a 2-year old. We love her so very much and look forward to many more memories together!

Happy fathers day -- to Jonathan, and to my own Dad. I love you both, and you are both amazing fathers!!