Saturday, May 16, 2009

The countdown has begun

Next weekend is Spokane! In seven days (yes seven!) I will be riding my bike in circles for 24 hours. So what have I been up to you ask? Eating. Sleeping in. Shorter rides. Getting organized.

All this eating and sleeping is treating me pretty well. I am feeling pretty good. I did a loop of Tiger today and crushed my climbing time by 1 minute. That might not seem like a lot to you but trust me- it is! It is one minute better than my best time! I felt fantastic - full of energy and wanting to ride. Looks like this taper thing is working.

So, 6 more days of eating, sleeping, and trying not to work too much should put me in a pretty good place for the race.

Eyeing the competition there are 11 women signed up for the Solo race. 3 of them are serious girls who've done well at Solos in the past (one got 3rd at Worlds one year and another placed 2nd (by 2 laps) to Rebecca Rusch at Spokane). Strong women. It should be a good race! It will be fun to have some good solid competition to really put my new eating strategy and fitness to the test.

Fraser is also contemplating doing it Solo so i am planning to self-support. I think I have a pretty good strategy to minimize pit time. My new eating plan makes self-supporting easier as I won't be eating many solids, if any. It should be good!

OK, off to eat some more food before I can start sleeping again ...